Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Turkish Lamb Eggplant Stew

I live in a neighbourhood with a lot of Turkish and Moroccan people and that means that there are also lots of grocery store, butchers, bakeries and restaurants catering to them (and the rest of us!). They provide a much better range of produce and meat than the general supermarkets, and you can buy spices in packets instead of little jars. (I still miss the Bulk Store though!)

Occasionally when I don't feel like cooking supper for myself, I pick up an eggplant-lamb stew for take-out from one of Turkish restaurants. However, I do find it too heavy on the oil, so I've been looking for a recipe that I can adjust  to my tastes. This recipe is an amalgam of several that I have found. As is my wont, I've reduced the salt.

Since I'm incapable of making a stew for one, or even two, I make a big pot and freeze it in individual portions.

Turkish Lamb Eggplant Stew

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder, cubed (1-2 inch pieces)
2 large onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 eggplants, diced
2 green bell peppers, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 can tomatoes (12 ounces)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 red pepper, minced
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Method

  1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, and brown the lamb on all sides. You may need to brown in batches.
  2. Take the lamb out, and add the onions and garlic, sauteing for a few minutes until translucent.
  3. Add the the diced eggplants and green peppers, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, as well as the spices, salt and pepper.
  5. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat shreds easily with a fork.
  6. If the stew is too thin, turn the heat to high and cook uncovered for 5 minutes to evaporate some of the liquid.

Serve with rice or crusty bread to sop up the juices.

2 comments:

  1. I discovered this great stew while visiting Germany. I cooked it for my family last Thanksgiving and now it has become a tradition. I love it.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it! Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete